The White Hart Hotel was once the town house of Charles Rashleigh (1747-1825) who created Charlestown Harbour for the export of locally mined minerals and clay. The dining room was decorated with a mural-like wallpaper depicting the ‘Bay of Naples’, by the French designer, Joseph Dufour. Saved from destruction, it is now in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London (see photo below).
This is a Grade II listed building faced in granite ashlar of a later date, and with many contemporary features including the doors and vertical sliding sash windows. There is evidence on its north façade of having been extended upwards another storey at some stage possibly in the latter part of the 19th century.
The photo above shows the White Hart decorated for the 1909 Royal visit of King Edward VII.