The late Victorian and Edwardian commercial and civic buildings which surround the church reflect St Austell’s importance in Cornwall in the early-to-late 19th and first half of the 20th centuries. The Red Bank itself is a large “Queen Anne” style 4 storeyed building designed by Silvanus Trevail and completed in 1898 for Messrs. Coode, Shilson and Co.
The building is a good example of this Cornish architect’s work, reflecting the influence of contemporary architects such as Paul Waterhouse. The triple fronted structure is constructed with red brick although the detailing utilises terra-cotta, originating from Ruabon in
north Wales. The steep Delabole slate roof with 3 attic gables, each corner surmounted by small very steep conical slate roof with bellcote and ogee lead dome and finial; intermediate roof dormers with casements; red clay crested ridge tiles; tall brick panelled axial stacks and a very tall lateral stack to left-hand return over paired pilasters (upper floors) dividing the flanking bays, all stacks have moulded entablature.
The second photo shows the old Post Office, Truscott Saddlery and the White Lion Hotel which were demolished to build the Red Bank.