Silvanus Trevail was a prolific architect, designing many schools, chapels and public buildings. His style featured steeply-pitched roofs and large windows. The former Liberal Club at the west end of Fore Street is another of his impressive buildings. This building, opened in 1890, was designed for Francis Layland Barrett, J.P., who was made a Baronet in 1908 and who was M.P. for St. Austell from 1915 until 1918. The building bears his initials.
The photo shows the foundation stone being laid by Mrs Layland Barratt. It is possible the gentleman with the top hat is Silvanus Trevail himself.
The Liberal Club has had a variety of uses including a social club and snooker hall. More recently it was a restaurant called the Thin End, and locally the building retains this name, although the restaurant has closed.